So what does it smell like? It is classified as a spicy floral chypre fragrance for women, heavy on the spices and carnation.
- Top notes: bergamot, orange blossom, lavender and clary sage.
- Heart: Bulgarian rose, iris, gardenia, carnation and geranium.
- Base: patchouli, oakmoss, cedar, sandalwood, clove, leather, amber, musk and tonka bean.
Lalique designed perfume bottles, model introduced 1937, of faceted cylindrical form molded in high relief with serrated panels, the stopper molded with spiraling. These bottles were housed in violin shaped presentation boxes.
- 1/2 oz Parfum flacon stands 4 1/2" tall (side embossed "Corday", paper labels "Tzigane" and "Corday Paris")
- 1 oz Parfum flacon stands 5 3/4" tall (side embossed "Corday", base embossed "Corday")
- 2 oz Eau de Cologne bottle (simplified bottle, not made by Lalique, plastic screwcap, paper labels "Tzigane Eau de Cologne 2 oz" and "Corday Paris")
- 3 oz Eau de Toilette flacon stands 6 7/8" tall (side embossed "Tzigane Corday Paris", base embossed "Made in France R. Lalique France")
Violin shaped bottles, not made by Lalique, c1949, made up of clear glass and topped w/ground glass stoppers, gold enamel serigraphy. Other bottles have screw caps. Bottle is molded with "Corday Bottle Made in France" on base. These bottles were made by Choisy le Roi in France.
- 1/4 oz Parfum bottle stands 2" tall.
- 3/8 oz Parfum bottle stands 2 3/8" tall.
- 1/2 oz Parfum bottle stands 3" tall.
- 1 oz Parfum bottle stands 4 1/3" tall.
- 1/2 oz Eau de Parfum bottle stands 3" tall.
- 1 oz Eau de Parfum bottle stands 4" tall.
- 1 oz Eau de Parfum bottle stands 5" tall (has lucite cap over inner stopper)
- 2 oz Eau de Toilette Concentree bottle stands 5 1/2" tall.
- 4 oz Eau de Toilette Concentree bottle stands 7 1/4" tall.
Other perfume bottles:
- Mini perfume bottle (Bulbous bottle, screw cap)
- Micro mini perfume bottle stands 1 1/2" tall (cylindrical shape, screw cap)
- Eau de Toilette Purse Solid Perfume Stick stands 3" tall (cylindrical plastic bottle)
Fate of the Fragrance:
Discontinued, date unknown. Still being sold in 1954.
"Tzigane," Corday's new perfume, is inspired by the haunting gaiety of gipsy music."
"Carnation predominates in Corday's Tzigane."
"Corday's Tzigane, which goes beautifully with the gypsy trend in clothes."
"Corday announces Tzigane Eau de Toilette. Richly reminiscent of Tzigane, the perfume, it makes its appearance in a large flask which is an excellent reproduction of the graceful one by Rene Lalique familiar to users of the perfume."
"A touch of drama...Tzigane by Corday. Women love drama...here it is, in liquid form! Not the sort of fragrance she’ll wear every day, but the kind she’ll save for special occasions. An unforgettable scent connected in your mind somehow with antique jewels, mysterious candlelight, rustling satin. Comes in a poetic box shaped like a violin, covered in glowing rayon satin…$8, $15, $27.50, and $50. Toilet Water $3.75."